Professor Heywood has been commemorated for making outstanding achievements in the fields of engineering research and education. He was recently granted an IEEE Fellow which is the highest grade of membership and is recognised by the technical community as a prestigious honour.
REEL is a continuation from the Society for Management in Education in Ireland (SMEI) which celebrated its twentieth year in 2012 was founded by Professor John Heywood in Trinity College Dublin. Its aims were:
* to provide a forum for the dissemination of information relating to management in education
* to promote research in the area
* to enable members to share expertise and experience
* to liaise with other interested national and international organisations
* to achieve these goals through the provision of meetings, conferences, seminars and publications
* to explore and discuss contemporary issues in education.